Sunday, July 27, 2008

John Deere Green

Just got an email from an old friend today, it was just a forward, but I don’t mind just getting forwards because I know that they were thinking of me.
However it said that if I forwarded it on to 12 people I would have 12 years of good luck. Ya well I’ll take my chances, I didn’t forward it on to 12 people. I like living on the edge like that, tempting fate if you will.
So when ever I get an email from Pete, I always have a picture of her in my head. It’s pretty similar to what she looked like in high school. Strawberry blond hair, long and wavy she had, or probably still has the prettiest hair I have ever seen.
In high school Pete kept me current on the happening country music. I listened to pop music and kept her abreast on that, and she was down with the new Leanne Rimes or Tim McGraw, and made sure I stayed current with the country folk. She is really the reason I like country, or know anything about country music.
Well we loved the song by Tim McGraw, “Don’t Take the Girl.” And for some reason I came with her one day while she was out drivin tractor. I don’t remember exactly what we were doing but, I’ll just say, we were working a field, and I guess we were on a tractor that didn’t have a radio or something, because we spent our time singing to each other.
Well we had the whole song of “Don’t Take the Girl” memorized from beginning to end. Along with “John Deere Green” and Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” (which was my music choice at the time I guess)
So after singing “Don’t take the girl” a few times we decided to make up our own lyrics. Changing girl to turtle and we found a way to implement the nick-name of her now brother-in-law Geno into the mix as well. Yes we were an imaginative pair, that’s what happens when you’re alone together on a John Deere I guess.
Pete’s a good friend and just happens to be my cousin too. She’s a pretty strong chick as well. I spent the night at her house once during calving season. We were going to go horse riding the next day, and so we usually tried to get up fairly early to get going.
Well we had just woken up or maybe she had just woken up, she looks out the window and says “Oh crap!”
Next thing I know she’s down the stairs, out the door and in the cattle pen outside, helping her mom pull a calf. Yes that’s right PULL A CALF!
I sat upstairs looking out her bedroom window watching them tug and pull, in the early hours of the morning, it took a few minutes and then finally the little guy or girl (I don't know which) came out. She just dusted herself off, came back inside, and was ready to go.
She just helped give life that day and it was no big deal to her. I was impressed to say the least. And I realized how different our lives really were.
Granted I wasn’t exactly a city girl, but in a way, to her I kinda was.

No comments: