Friday, July 25, 2008

Drunk Dialing

I don’t do much drunk calling anymore.
On a rare occasion I will call 2names or #2, after I’ve been drinking. But they were probably drinking too, so I don’t feel so bad.
And we now have this new thing we do, where we’ll call each other up when we start drinking and drink a bottle of wine together. You know because no one likes to drink alone…we are really there for each other; we’ll take one for the team, so that our friends don’t feel like an alcoholic.
My sister Ang, however, she likes to drunk call me still. And, I must say, I love it. She called me yesterday around 6 p.m. (ya I think she was already drunk by then, though I wasn’t able to talk to her at that time) then she called me again around 9 p.m. I was watching Dateline it was of course a crime story about a wife that was charged for killing her husband, she ended up getting off. But I digress....
So back on the ranch…She was slurring her words a little bit; she had been drinking all day I presume. Why do I think this? Because she said she just got done doing the Road Rally.
What’s a Road Rally (RR)? Well a Road Rally is when a bunch of people go off on a scavenger slash clue hunt expedition, traversing the back roads in rural Nebraska.
The RR usually gets going around noon on a Sunday, (after everyone gets out of church, though this crew probably aren't coming from church, probably more like nursing a hangover from the night before).
From what I understand, they all start at a certain location and are given a clue. This clue leads them to another clue, and this goes on until you reach the final clue and the end of the journey. So I’ve heard and judging by my own sister’s lack of sobriety, this driving around also entails lots of drinking. I know quite illegal right? And so I asked my sister, “So do you guys ever see any cops while out doing this?”
“Cops?!!! Are you kidding?! We were travlin cross free counties…we were in Furnas, Frontier, and Gosper counties.”
“Oh well I mean I just thought, you know it’s a small enough area that the cops would be a little wise to the shenanigans and sit out there somewhere just waiting to pull over some drunk people searching for clues.” I said
“Oh no we were travlin cross free counties…we were in Ffurnas, Ffrontier, and Gospfer counties, ain’t no cops gonna find us.”
So I guess its safe, just a bunch of drunk ass people driving around the county side looking for their next mystery to solve.
Evidently one of the clues took her by my aunt and uncles house north of Cambridge. My aunt and uncle’s last name is Miller and the clue read something like this “Its Miller Time, although I don’t think these’s Miller’s will give you a beer.”
Ang was pretty proud that she was able to figure this one out on her own.
So the object of this Road Rally is to find all the clues the fastest and win some sort of a prize but evidently there is also a downside of winning.
“So did you win?” I ask.
“Oh no, no, no, no. Or at least I hope not, we don’t want to win, you win you got to put it on.”
Ok now I’m confused. “Put it on? What do you mean?”
“If you win you have to put it on…the next year. You have to organize it. We won two years ago, we ain’t doing that again. Oh and plus could you imagine, I live in McCook, Lisa lives in Indianola and blah blah blah lives in Culberston. No we don’t want to win, or at least I hope we didn’t win, I don’t know, I never got a call, so I think we lost, I think we lost big time," she says with a little chuckle
“Well that’s good then. So do you have to work tomorrow?”
“Oh yea, bright and early, I think I’m gonna eat my food then go to bed. I just wanted to give you my weekly call”
I kinda thought that sounded like a good idea.
“Well I’ll call ya next week.”
Ok good-bye Ang.

No comments: