Monday, May 4, 2009

Flipping or Flicking


My husband is insistent that you flick people off, when giving them the bird. I don't know where he got this but it really needs to stop.
I think he made it up, well obviously he made it up, probably what happened is he accidently said flick one time and instead of correcting himself decided that he would from then until the end of all eternity say flick instead of flip.
I can't even describe how annoying this can be after so many years. Luckily, we don't get into too many conversations about flipping or flicking, or we might be divorced that’s how excruciatingly annoying it is to me. Usually it comes up when we are in the car, when some dumbass is driving like...well...a dumbass, they deserve the finger. And I’ll say something innocent like “Did you just flip them off?” And he’ll say “No, I flicked them off.”
I’m like, you flick your boogers, and you flip people off. You know flip them the bird? Your hand is down, you extend the middle finger, turning hand up and facing outwards, that is the motion of a flip. Your hand goes from down to up, a flip.
You flick when you want to get something off of your thumb or your flick a bug off of your shirt. That is flicking…
These are not the same motions at all and frankly his is just wrong. I will make him see the light.
I recently got to flip my brother off actually. We have such a loving relationship. Well that is actually how we show our love for each other, calling each other names and flipping each other off when we see one another.
I was recently on my way home the other day when I pulled up behind him. (Let me first preface this by saying that it is highly unusual for me to just “run” into someone I know around here. But we do live in the same town, so its not too terribly unusual, I’ve ran into him twice now since I moved to Wylie in 2007)
So I pull up behind him at a left hand turning lane and we are waiting for the light. I knew it was him because he is the only person in town, or probably the whole metro-plex with Nebraska Cornhusker stickers covering up the Ford symbols on his truck. (I would cover up the Ford symbols as well, a freaking disgrace driving around a Ford, but I digress, I tend to do that a lot, digress that is, so anyway….) There was a woman behind me so I didn’t want her to think I was flipping her off, so I was trying to lean over and put the finger in front of my face so he would both see me and my finger if he looked into his rearview mirror. But he didn’t, I’m just sitting there doing the middle finger salute in my car with a cheesy grin on my face.
So finally I honked to get his attention, which I generally don’t like to honk in rush hour traffic as I don’t want to get shot, but I did just a little one.
And I’m sure he was thinking “WTF? Why the hell is someone honking at me?” Then finally he looked in his rearview and saw me, his darling lil sis. He appropriately returned the proper formalities as he adjusted the phone he was chatting on, I guess he’s a right hand flipper only. Then we went on our merry ways.

1 comment:

Rabbit said...

you mean right hand flicker