Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Bull Fight

Bull fighting to me, after seeing it, is inhumane. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't think I will ever go to one again.

Mr. Vasey and I went to Cancun for our 1st anniversary and saw, to our surprise, that Cancun put on a bull fight every Wednesday night, so we thought we'd go.

The first part of the event was somewhat like a fancy rodeo, this I can get on board with, pretty ladies on horsies, showing off their horsemanship around the ring.
There was, what appeared to be a dance off. The pastels against the jets...I guess.
And then more of the pastels came out and danced around this pole thing in order to tie these ribbons around it.

These guys showed off their roping and tricks. All fun and games until...
The bull came out. He was pretty pissed off, he ran into the wooden side rail chasing after someone and put a nice little chip in it.
The Matador worked him into a sweat, and every one screamed "ole". At this point I'm still o.k. with the whole thing. Then this guy came out.
Notice how the horse is all covered up with shielding, and his eyes are covered. I guess its so that he couldn't see what was coming.

The dude on the horse just stabs the bull with this pole thing and gets him to bleed. I guess the matador is out having margaritas with some senoritas while all this is happening...
But he comes back....
And now that the bull is losing blood from his back and neck, I guess the matador has a fighting chance.


The bull is extremely tired at this point, and the dude has an easy time taking him down. With the help of a few friends.
But alas he does finally fall. And then they have a party.
I don't know if you're wondering how do they get this 500 pound plus animal out of the arena, but I know I was. But that's ok they have a solution to that...
The just tie him up and drag him out, while more partying goes on.

I have no idea what happens to him after that, but they cut out the tongue evidently.

So we went to a bar near our hotel, this is after walking for 2 miles in a pair of heals to find a bus stop, and drowned our sorrows from watching something so brutal the first day of our vacation.
This is how I drown my sorrows.

We met up with some Canadian college students on their spring break and they went to the bull fight too, they had the same opinion of the brutality, but that didn't stop them from going and getting their picture taking with the dead bull. Crazy Canadians.

No comments: