Wednesday, August 20, 2008

An Olympic Hangover

I must say that volleyball is probably one of my favorite sports to watch, whether live or on TV. It also happens to be one of my favorite sports to play. I do like watching football as well, but volleyball tends to be quicker and keeps you on the edge of your seat, like ALL THE TIME.
The last 2 nights I've stayed up late (late for me is 11 p.m.) to watch May and Walsh win the Women's Gold in Beach Volleyball and last night I watched Dalhausser and Rogers win the Men's Gold in Beach Volleyball. It was mother efin awesome. Loved it.
However I do have say I've got that Olympic Hangover that everyone has been talking about, staying up past our bedtimes in order to watch live events in Bejing China. Making work suck the next day.
It does however piss me off a little bit, when the announcers make excuses for the way the players play.
"Oh Rogers missed that set, but that ball is probably pretty wet coming off of Dalhausser's arms, just slipped through his hands too much..." and "Oh May missed that one, with this rain coming down the ball just slipped off her arm..."
I'm sorry but that is not how it works. Rogers carried the ball plain and simple he was trying to guide the set a little too much to get it to his partner and he carried it plain and simple.
I just thought it was funny how many errors were caused because the heat was causing the players to sweat extensively and they weren't able to have control over the ball. I'm a sweater, I know as well as anyone, that excuse is bs.
And the rain making a bump go ary I'm sorry probably not the reason, she missed the pass because she wasn't lined up, she wasn't completly behind the ball and had no control over it. The only excuse they had for missing stuff in the rain is ya the spikes becuase they are looking up into the rain when they hit, same thing with the block but actually not as much with the block.
But enough ranting about that, on to the 4x100 relay.
I must say pathetic.
I have been pretty dissapointed in the American athletes in the track and field events. Normally track and field is all about the USA. Not so much this year.
We did sweep the men's 400 meters but that was about the only highlight from Fridays events (Bejing Time, Thursday night here) That freakin 400 relay pissed me off to no end.
Both the men and the women's teams were disqualified. Both teams dropped the baton on the last pass, just 100 meters to go to make it into the finals. USA has never missed the finals of an Olympic 400 meter relay since the relay's inception in like 1928. That is pretty pathetic.
Its like all they had to do was get that thing around the track and they were in, the runners are fast enough they would've qualified even if the lead runner looked back to grab the baton (not normal procedure)
And the women had to of known that the men had been dsq so why didn't they say to themselves "get this thing around the track even if you have to stop to put it in my hands." I don't know, I just know it sucked.
Sucked mostly for them I'm sure, becuase thier olympic dream was shattered before they even got a chance to create it.
I'm holding out hope for the 4x400 relay thought since the USA went 1,2,3 in the men's 400. I'm expecting gold in that too, unless someone screws it up.

No comments: