Friday, August 8, 2008

Going Ol' Skool

I got to thinking about some of my favorite movies while growing up.
Now these are those movies that I would never say are the best movies ever. That list would be very hard for me, and most of the movies on that list would probably be more recent movies.
No this list is going to be those movies that were more of a staple for the young 80's - 90's youth. I'm sure there were some criticaly acclaimed movies in the late 80's early 90's, but these aren't them.

Pretty Woman - This is great becuase Julia Roberts and Richard Gere were in it and I loved those 2 when I was about 16, but also you know this film is great when you can walk up to just about any woman and ask her for a line from the movie and without hesitation she'll give one to you....my favorite "You should go for him. You look hot tonight. Don't take less than $100. Call me when you're through. Take care of you"

Breakfast Club - Nothing is better than watching Molly Ringwald apply lipstick with her clevage...awesome. Principal Vernon "The next time I have to come in here I'm crackin' skulls." That guy was such a douche bag.

Can't Buy Me Love - Has to probably be in the top 2 for me. This is a classic I wanted to be Cindy Mancini so bad. She had the cool Rabbit VW, cheerleader. What was even better is, this movie as on all the time on like TBS or something.

Beaches - This was the first movie I ever cried in. "Now and Then" was the last. I don't really cry at movies.

Drop Dead Fred - Thank God for this movie. It saved me one summer of babysitting.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective - Reeheheheheeeeaaaaalllly. Actually AVPD might be on my all time top ten list. Yes I know my standards aren't very high. Loved this movie. And hey Dan Marino was in it. This movie has some of the best quotes and I still use some of them today.
-If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer.
-Well, I'm not really ready for a relationship, Lois, but thank you for asking. Hey, maybe I'll give you a call sometime. Your number's still 911? All righty then.
-Captain's Log, stardate 23.9, rounded off to the... nearest decimal point. We've... traveled back in time to save an ancient species from... total annihilation. SO FAR... no... signs of aquatic life, but I'm going to find it. If I have to tear this universe another black hole, I'm going to find it. I've... GOT TO, MISTER
-Why do you care about Snowflake? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? Do you have a dorsal fin? To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head. I am saying to Snowflake, "Akay!... Akay Akay Akay?" und he is saying "AKay Akay!" und he is up on ze tail "Eeeeeeeeee!" und you can quote him!
-Holy Testicle Tuesday
-I came to confess. I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

I actually used to perform those last few for friends and family whenever I felt the urge. A bit of my middle child syndrome coming out I guess, always trying to be the center of attention. I think I still have my Authentic Pet Detective Card somewhere. I really should find it, could be a career to fall back on.

No comments: