Sunday, June 15, 2008

How things change

My very first cassette tape I bought with my own money was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." I loved The Boss. And the cover of that album had an American flag in the background with Bruce's Levi ass in the foreground. I used to think that Levi's were made for Bruce's ass in mind.
My parents had just got me my first cassette player for Christmas. Treebee and I got the exact same one. I played The Boss all the time. Later I started to make copies of my mom's Garth Brooks albums. This was before she was a jebus freak and listened to the bible on tape.
The next tape I remember buying was Poison. I don't remember the name of the album, but I do remember Ang would constantly "borrow" my tape from me, which totally meant I had good music tastes for a 10 year old.
Next came NKOTB, and Salt n' Pepper, Nirvana, Sir Mix A Lot, Alanis Morrisette and spending hours listening to Casey Kasem's Top 100 or was it Top 40, to try to record from the radio. This free way of acquiring music required a lot of skill, time and patience.
By the time high school finished I got enough money from my graduation to purchase my first CD player. I bought two CD's to keep me satisfied...Weazer (the blue album) and Hits of the Nineties.
Strangely enough, my music tastes varied greatly over the next few years, I tabbled in 2-Pac, Biggie, Puffy and some really bad R&B, music. It was quite hideous.
Now I have reverted back to my old ways. I swear I haven't bought a rap album since Eminem, and he doesn't really count becuase he's white. Now I'm a rock chick again. I stay away from Pop music unless it's Pink or Britney.
And playing right now in my car...is Vito and the V-tones. Thanks 2names...

No comments: