Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Padiddle


Padiddle is a funny word, and it does actually mean something. I didn’t make it up.

Growing up we always yelled “PADIDDLE” and hit the roof of the car when we saw a car with one headlight out. Also a variation of this was the “Beer Me” though I don’t think I should be condoning the drinking and driving of teenagers and college students. Though we all did it…sadly. But in both cases the winner was the person who spotted the headlight out and was the first to hit the roof. One would be awarded…well nothing but the respect of his/her peers for being so quick to the draw.

With the Beer Me version, basically you would be awarded a beer, while out road trippin’. Road Trippin in the country is kind of an inevitable, especially as a yong kid home from college with no place to go to down a few beers away from the parents. You’re at an age where you are too young to go to the bar and too old to hang out at Gas n Shop. I usually played it safe though if I was driving, I set my cruise at 30 mph. I guess I figured I couldn’t get too terribly hurt or really hurt anyone else if I was only going 30. Plus it allowed me to concentrate on steering instead of maintaining speed. Road trippin is also I how I finally learned how to pee outside without peeing on myself. As we would just pull over and pee outside on the dirt road, I first had to do the lean pee. Where you put one hand against the bumper or a tire and sort of propped yourself up, it gave me the proper angle as to which I wouldn’t pee on myself. Now I am proud to say that I have graduated to the full fledged regular squat, no more leaning for me, and I still get the pleasure of not peeing on myself, which is always a great thing. Camping taught me this, as sometimes when you are out in the woods it’s a little scary to be putting your hands on just any tree or stump; you never know what you’re putting it into.

Hopefully the Padiddle never dies, I will be sure to teach my kids this or at least my nieces and nephews if I never have kids. Though I think I will keep my road trippin stories on the down low, I don’t think I really want to pass that on, or encourage it, that probably wouldn’t be good.

No comments: