Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Can't come fast enough

With 5 days to go until the election of 2008, I thought maybe I’d get a few things off my chest.
I don’t think it’s a secret to anyone who knows me, how I stand on issues and what issues are more important to me.
I actually voted yesterday, great thing about living in a very populated county we can vote early 2 weeks ahead of the election, so no standing in line for me. Early voting is probably the best invention since sliced cheese.
I implore people to visit your county website or find out what is going to be on your ballot before you actually go and vote. Because lets face it, while we all like to hem and haw over the presidential elections, the election that actually matters to you and me, the regular folk, are the local elections.
And not only that but it’s been proven that the popular vote doesn’t win the presidential election anyway.
Most likely you have a senator seat up for election this year. On my ballot there were proposals in relation to my local school district. Also there were Supreme Court and district court judge places up for grabs, tax assessor, county sheriff and railroad commission. These are some of the things that matter.
Especially in Texas, the Supreme Court in Texas currently has a lot of conservative judges on the panel. And unfortunately they are turning over a large amount of judgments in cases decided on by a jury trial. Why? Because they all think the same. Many citizens think that it is a good idea to have judges that lean more to their way of thinking. And with Texas being a very conservative state it’s no wonder this has happened. But actually it is better when there is a balance of judges, some that lean to the left, some that lean to the right and some that can go either way.
We are talking about our civil liberties here; I personally don’t want one group of people deciding what I can or can’t do. I think its much better to have a broad base for thought process; diversity is a good thing, something we should embrace.
And I must add, I just heard this today: Bible Spice, to describe Gov. Palin. I must say that is the funniest thing I’ve heard so far today.
However it is only 10:44 a.m. And I’ve been at work for most of my day…James House just isn’t all that funny at 7 a.m.

No comments: