Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Makes Mouths Happy

I have stated before that Twizzlers is probably one of my favorite candies.
I absolutely love licorice.
But I do not like black licorice, at all. I do like black licorice flavored alcoholic drinks, but that is different, entirely different.
So back to Twizzlers...I have to be very specific, I only like the strawberry and cherry flavors of licorice and actually it even gets more specific than that. I like cherry nibs and strawberry twizzlers, two very different thigs with very different flavors.
If I could, I would make a twizzler holiday.
I did some looking and I think licorice has been around for quite some time as the flavor comes from an extract.
I found this on Wikipedia:
Licorice is the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra, from which a sweet flavour can be extracted. The liquorice plant is a legume (related to beans and peas) and native to southern Europe and parts of Asia.

Oh snap I didn't know this:
Excessive consumption of liquorice or liquorice candy is known to be toxic to the liver and cardiovascular system, and may produce hypertension and oedema. There have been occasional cases where blood pressure has increased with excessive consumption of liquorice tea, but such occasions are rare and reversible when the herb is withdrawn. Most cases of hypertension from liquorice were caused by eating too much concentrated liquorice candy. Doses as low as 50g daily for two weeks can cause a significant rise in blood pressure.

But anyway I think that licorice or twizzlers does deserve a holiday as it has been making my mouth happy since like 1985 or so...I think maybe the licorice or twizzler holiday should be celebrated on my birthday and I think Mt. Dew should help sponsor the celebration. As nothing goes better with strawberry twizzlers than Mt. Dew.
I think the activities involved in such a celebration should include free twizzler samples, along with a 20oz of the Dew, an all day "Friends" Marathon, so I can just sit on my couch and suck Dew through Twizzler straws. Sounds like a pretty good day to me. Oh and maybe we could also during the night have a Supernatural marathon as well...in this case you will probably need to take the day after National Twizzler Day off as well, for you will be bloated with Twizzlers and Dew and tired from watching 2 of the best TV shows every thought up.

Twizzler history for those history buffs: (like me)
Y&S Candies, the manufacturers of TWIZZLERS candy, is one of the oldest confectionery firms in the United States. The company was established in 1845 as Young and Smylie and adopted Y&S as its trademark in 1870. National Licorice Company was created in 1902 through the merger of three small firms: Young & Smylie, S.V. & F.P. Schudder and H.W. Petherbridge. The company changed its name to Y&S Candies Inc. in 1968 and was acquired by Hershey Foods in 1977. Today TWIZZLERS candy is available in a variety of flavors and styles. Y&S produces strawberry, true black licorice, cherry, and chocolate flavored licorice-style candy.
Timeline
1845 Young and Smylie confectionery firm is established.
1870 Y&S is adopted as the company trademark.
1902 National Licorice Company established with the merger of Young and Smylie, S.V. & F.P. Schudder and H.W. Petherbridge.
1968 National Licorice Company is renamed Y&S Candies, Inc.
1977 Hershey Foods acquires Y&S Candies, Inc.

YUM In my tum...

No comments: