Friday, October 10, 2008

Killing babies

I love it when my mom comes home from church and asks me if Obama is for abortion at any time of gestation, from conception to birth, oh and she asks me this during my neice's 3rd birthday party.
I mean isn't this appropriate conversation to be discussing around a bunch of little girls running around in princess outfits?
So I tell her I don't know if he is, its been my understanding that he supports a women's right to choose, he has said he trusts women to make the right decision concerning their health, body and life.
Frankly no I do not think he supports late term abortions, not many do. I told her, I'm sure his wife has never had an abortion and I bet his 2 daughters never have one, and really does it really matter, he's one man?
"Murder is murder and this is one of the worst kinds of murder, it is the only issue that matters." She says.
"Really?" I reply, "Look where voting based on what guy you think goes to church more has gotten us?"
Now let me be clear. I personally don't agree with abortion. I would never have an abortion. Not when there are so many other choices. Especially when my own sister chose life and gave her baby a chance at a life that she couldn't give him.
But on the other hand, I don't really care what a polititian thinks about abortion. I don't use it as an issue that helps me decide whether or not I would vote for a person. I don't think that illegalizing abortion is the answer to stopping abortion. I think that will come with education, making birth control more accessible and making sure women understand that there are other options out there.
I also don't like that pastors and preists are out there preaching politics, telling their congregation how to vote. I think that these people have brains and should be able to make an educated decision without the consultation of their spiritual leader telling them how to think.
OK I'm going to get off my soap box now.
And it isn't even Sunday.

No comments: