Saturday, May 10, 2008

Proposals over raw meat

My cousin and I used to work at the Deli in town together for about one summer I think it was, must've been before she moved off to Lawrence.
But one of our jobs at the Deli was pattying hamburger meat, getting it stocked for the night shift and the next day.
So we were sitting there making meat balls then smashing them flat, when we decided that neither of us would ever get married and that we would just marry eachother (because not only is gay marriage legal in Nebraska but also marrying your first cousin is cool too, by the way, its not, what do you think this is? Alabama? No we are more civilized than that).
I'm not sure how this all came about, and as always I may not be remembering this exchange of words correctly but I kinda gathered from this conversation, even though we were joking around, that (we'll call her Blondie because she's always had very blond hair) Blondie wasn't interested in marriage just yet and really didn't seem interested in having kids. I guess I was wrong.
Not probably 3-6 months later Blondie moved to Kansas, met a guy, got engaged, got married and starting popping out kids. She's always loved kids and I'm sure she makes a great mom and I think she should have more. She's even offered her fertile uterus to me (all in jokes as well) in case I happen to be the only infertile Witte on the planet.
There is so much to be learned from a proposal over bloody mushed up meat. Funny how when I patty a burger now, I think about how quickly ones life can change. Sometimes one decision really can turn your life around.
Ok that's not what I think about when I play with meat, I don't know what I think about when I'm flattening out raw meat for consumption...probably thinking how much my nose itches and how bad is sucks that I can't itch it becuase I have a handful of raw cow meat in my hands and how I can manuever my shoulder to my nose to itch it and hope a booger (thats booger not burger) doesn't fall onto my meat at the same time...good thing it all looks the same.

No comments: